Parents as Teachers
Parents as Teachers (PAT) is an early childhood family support and parent education home-visiting model. Family Support Specialists work with parents to strengthen protective factors and ensure that children 0 to 5 years old are healthy, safe, and ready to learn. Our PAT program serves families in Washington County, Utah and the Arizona strip.
- Personal home visit
- Group connections
- Community resource connection
- Child and family assessments
- Development, hearing and vision screenings
Eligibility and Enrollment
Eligibility is based on meeting at least two of the following criteria:
- First time or teen parents
- Veteran or whose partner is on active duty or a veteran
- Referral from DCFS
- History of substance abuse or whose partner has a history of substance abuse
- Intellectual impairment or physical disability
- Low income
- Experiencing homelessness or transitional housing
Families may enroll in Parents as Teachers beginning with pregnancy and may remain in the program until the child enters kindergarten.
The program is sponsored by the Utah Department of Health Office of Home Visiting in Washington County, Utah and by First Things First in the Arizona strip, and is free of charge to the families.