Parents as Teachers
#COVID19: We are excited to announce that we are offering our services fully in person indoor and outdoor. Because of high transmission rates in Washington County our staff will be wearing masks. Families are not required but highly encouraged. Masks are recommended in group settings. Please refer to our Illness Policy before home visits and attending events.
We are enrolling families! Apply here
Parents as Teachers (PAT) is an early childhood family support and parent education home-visiting model. Family Support Specialists work with parents to strengthen protective factors and ensure that children 0 to 5 years old are healthy, safe, and ready to learn. Our PAT program serves families in Washington County, Utah and the Arizona strip.
- Personal home visit
- Group connections
- Community resource connection
- Child and family assessments
- Development, hearing and vision screenings
Eligibility and Enrollment
Eligibility is based on meeting at least two of the following criteria:
- First time, single or teen parents
- Child with a chronic health condition
- Child with a mental health condition
- Veteran or whose partner is on active duty or a veteran
- Recent death in your immediate family (last 5 years)
- Three or more children under age five
- Referral from DCFS or involved with DCFS in the past 5 years
- ESL (limited English)
- Child with low birth weight or born too early
- Your child is adopted or fostered by you
- History of substance abuse or whose partner has a history of substance abuse
- Intellectual impairment or physical disability
- Recent immigrant (within the last 5 years)
- Low income or you depend on your parents for primary source of financial support
- Experiencing homelessness or transitional housing
Families may enroll in Parents as Teachers beginning with pregnancy and may remain in the program until the child enters kindergarten.
The program is sponsored by the Utah Department of Health Office of Home Visiting in Washington County, Utah and by First Things First in the Arizona strip, and is free of charge to the families.